Modern Languages KS3 Spanish
Three out of six classes in Years 8, 9 and 10 study Spanish alongside French at Ballyclare High School. Throughout this time, pupils are prepared for further study at GCSE level, as well as being provided with useful conversational Spanish, vocabulary and grammar.
We use the modern textbook Mira (books 1-3) and classes often make use of the associated ActivTeach software and audio-visual platform. Independent study is harnessed through the encouragement of continuous use of Modern Language apps and websites.
Students will cover the following topics through their three year KS3 journey with the Spanish department:
Year 8 (Mira 1)
- Basic introductions: greetings, numbers, Spanish alphabet, classroom objects
- School: subjects, school routine, teachers, opinions, snacks at school
- Family: family members, big numbers, pets, physical & character descriptions
- The home: countries, house, rooms of a house, bedroom
- Free time: sports and leisure activities, time, preferences
- The city: describing a town, places in a town, invitations, weather
Year 9 (Mira 2)
- People in society: free time, friendships, celebrities, daily routine, nationalities
- Going out: places in town, asking people out, making excuses
- Holidays: countries, transport & travel, holiday activities & opinions
- Food: meals & mealtimes, shopping for food, at the restaurant, preferences
- Fashion: clothes, styles, school uniform, comparing clothes
- Barcelona: tourism in Barcelona, important monuments and attractions, directions
Year 10 (Mira 3)
- Modern technology & media: computers, TV, films, music, cinema
- School & future plans: subjects, teachers, extra-curricular activities, school rules
- Health: the body, symptoms & remedies, at the pharmacy, healthy lifestyle & diet
- Earning a living: pocket money, household chores, jobs, future aspirations
- Environment: environmental issues & solutions, free trade, working conditions in the Hispanic world.