IT and Computer Science
Welcome to the ICT & Computer Science Department
Everyone should learn how to code, it teaches you how to think – Steve Jobs
The demand is on for ICT professionals right now! Hundreds of exciting, and fun careers are available every year in ICT.
At Ballyclare High School, our students are encouraged to creatively use digital online technologies to acquire knowledge, practise skills and develop competencies by learning with, through and about the use of IT.
Cross curricular IT is integrated within classroom experiences across all subject areas and is used by staff and pupils every day. The delivery and assessment of IT is supported by specialist classes and off time-table days. These events provide students with opportunities to work in groups on extended projects. As a discrete subject we offer options at GCSE and GCE including IT and Computer Science.
The members of the department strive to build positive relationships with our pupils that are based on mutual respect and we encourage our pupils to be responsible for their learning.
- To provide our students with the necessary skills for work, leisure and further learning.
- To encourage students to build upon their previous experience and to become autonomous users of digital technology
- To provide the resources and expertise that will allow students to be discriminating and discerning in the selection and use of a range of digital technology resources
- To provide all pupils with the opportunity to develop their programming skills
- To help pupils explore their attitudes towards ICT, its value for themselves, others and society, and their awareness of its advantages and limitations.
- To help pupils develop good Health and Safety attitudes and practice
- To enable pupils to experience a sense of confidence, achievement and enjoyment