Geography Careers and Further Study
Graduates are often targeted by employers as they possess highly developed skill sets in data analysis, ICT, communication, teamwork, statistical analysis, literacy and fieldwork. These transferable skills lead to employment opportunities in GIS (Geographical Information Systems), finance, town planning, business, environmental consultancy, tourism, teaching and the social sciences.
Geography combines well with Chemistry or Biology for Environmental Science courses. It can combine equally well with Mathematics and Sciences for BSc Geography courses (and Engineering) and with English, History, Modern Languages for BA Geography courses.
Top places to study geography in addition to Oxford & Cambridge are At.Andrews, durham, Glasgow, Bristol, Warwick & Lancaster. Ulster University is ranked 12th on the 2020 Guardian League table for Geography.
Geography can also be studied at Queen’s University, Belfast – https://www.qub.ac.uk/
Geography is offered at University of Ulster
In the Guardian University League Table for Geography and Environmental Sciences this year, Ulster was ranked 20th, Queen’s was ranked 52nd (https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2020/sep/05/best-uk-universities-for-geography-environmental-studies-league-table).
We will be offering three main courses on our Coleraine campus next September:
- Geography (with an optional placement year) – https://www.ulster.ac.uk/courses/202122/geography-with-optional-placement-year-21707. For queries on the Geography course, please contact Sara McDowell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Environmental Science (with an optional placement year) – https://www.ulster.ac.uk/courses/202122/environmental-science-with-optional-placement-year-21706. For queries on the Environmental Science course, please contact Joerg Arnscheidt (email@example.com).
- Marine Science (with an optional placement year) – https://www.ulster.ac.uk/courses/202122/marine-science-21830. For queries on the Marine Science course, please contact Rory Quinn (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A-Level entry conditions for all three programmes are BCC. Geography and STEM subjects are preferable, but not essential.
Some facts to consider when comparing us to other Universities:
- 92% of students from both courses are in employment 6 months after graduation
- Seven consecutive years of 100% Student Satisfaction – National Student Survey
- The 2021 Complete University Guide ranked Ulster in 3rd place out of 70 universities for student satisfaction in Geography and Environmental Sciences.
- Our Geography & Environmental Science courses are accredited by the Institution of Environmental Sciences – https://www.the-ies.org/accreditation. Our Geography course is accredited by the Royal Geographic Society – https://www.rgs.org/research/programme-accreditation/register-of-accredited-programmes/
- Optional supported placement year, either in Industry or Abroad
- Excellent field trips to a range of locations – past destinations include Cyprus, Portugal and Barcelona.
- Cheap and quality halls of residence with further comfortable student housing in the Portstewart/Portrush area.
If you or your students have any questions, would like a tour of our facilities or would like to discuss a UCAS application, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Infographic is included and a booklet is available from geog staff.