Under the Revised Curriculum it is expected that pupils will already have some basic understanding of key drama strategies, if not the vocabulary to match. At KS3 the main strategies are:
- HOT-SEATING- the pupil answers a series of questions while in role;
- CONSCIENCE ALLEY- one person walks down through two rows of pupils who say the character’s thoughts out loud as they pass;
- FREEZE FRAME – pupils create a frozen picture or ‘snapshot’ of a moment;
- THOUGHT-TRACK- the pupil pauses and utters the character’s thoughts in role (useful after freeze frame).
- TABLEAU- pupils create a held image. Different to freeze frame as it can be used to show an emotion, an idea or a variety of activities (more ‘arranged’ as opposed to frozen in action).