Ballyclare High School is committed to developing lifelong performers in a wide range of sporting activities and in promoting a healthy and active lifestyle. We attempt to provide pupils with an opportunity to achieve a sense of accomplishment in a wide range of activities and take great delight in celebrating their success. We want to provide moments of inspiration and enjoyment that will remain with them beyond their time at BHS.
As a department, we aim to provide a challenging, disciplined and safe environment for high quality learning and teaching. Pupils should experience a balance of activities which has the necessary coherence and breadth to develop the Curriculum.
Progression should be evident as the pupil passes through key stage 2 to 3 with an extended choice of activity in key stage 4 to ensure the pupil is offered a stimulating and relevant school choice in PE. As a further extension, examination PE is also offered at GCSE, AS and Advanced Level.
- To encourage and motivate all students to develop their full potential through a range of purposeful, yet enjoyable activities within a challenging environment.
- To promote the acquisition and application of skills appropriate to each activity and to develop the ability to positively transfer skills across activities.
- To develop an understanding of the benefits of participation in physical activity now and in later life.
- To develop an appreciation of skilful and creative performances in a variety of sports activities.
- To promote the development of interpersonal skills (organisation, co-operation, initiative and responsibility) and to heighten self-esteem, whilst encouraging tolerance of and respect for other groups and individuals.
- To provide the necessary stimuli to encourage the development of decision making, imaginative thinking and problem solving.
- To improve pupils’ ability to accurately evaluate their own and others’ performance in order to support progression.